Sunday, April 27, 2008

5 Years Down...Eternity To Go...


On April 16, Marcus and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary. I have been meaning to post about it and how we celebrated it for almost two weeks. Better late than never, right?

On the 14th, we went to Salt Lake without the kids. It was the first time that I had left Emma over night. Marcus' mom came down and stayed with Christian and Emma so Marcus and I could have a little get away. We stayed in Salt Lake and went to a Jazz game where we had suite tickets. During the first quarter, we got to go sit on the floor, three rows from the court. It was awesome. Jazz won and it was a great game. We had dinner in the suite and then went back to our hotel where we got to sit and do nothing; no chasing kids, no dealing with business, no computers, nothing. It was so nice. The next morning we got to sleep in. We didn't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn with Emma. We didn't even have to listen to Christian whine and want to watch Backyardigans. We took our time getting ready and before we left Salt Lake, we had lunch at the Lion House. It was a nice little get away.

Marcus and I had decided that we weren't going to get each other any gifts this year. I followed the rules; strictly a card, just like I was told. Marcus, on the other hand, yah, not so much. He bought me a diamond necklace. I love it! I should have figured that he would get me something; he always does that.

On our actual anniversary, Marcus made us a good dinner and we just hung out with Christian and Emma. It was fun and a good a anniversary.



Since it was our five year anniversary, here are five reasons why I love my husband.

1. Marcus can always make me laugh, regardless of the situation. It doesn't matter how angry I am at whatever or whoever, he can always me make laugh. Sometimes I just want to be mad, but then Marcus comes along and says or does something that makes me laugh. He can cheer me up and usually makes the hurt go away.



2. Marcus and I can have no matter what we do together. We can go on a road trip to Nauvoo, a honeymoon in Mexico, a last minute trip to San Fransisco, playing the Wii with friends, or just swinging in a park. It doesn't matter if it's extravagant or something simple; if we are together, we have fun. I love that we don't have to spend a lot of money to have fun together.



3. Marcus is an awesome father. Nothing is more important to him than his children. He puts them before anyone and anything. He always finds time to play with them, read to them or just hang out. It's very cute to watch him play with Emma, wrestle with Christian, pick out a duck for Taylor every night, or tease Jessi about dumb things. I love how much he loves his children and lets them know how much he does love them.



4. Marcus looks on the bright side of everything. I am a pessimist by nature, always have been and probably always will be. Marcus can always take whatever the situation is and make it positive. It honestly drives me crazy sometimes, but it's great that he can talk me off the edge. When we were going through infertility treatments and nothing was happening, he promised me things would be okay and we would have a baby within that year. All I keep thinking is how in the world can he make a promise like that? Nobody can promise that. Well, we brought Christian home before that year was up. Marcus also said (before we were pregnant) that he knew we would get pregnant and bring a baby into this world. Obviously, that happened to. I don't know if he is psychic of psycho, but he helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel quite often.



5. Marcus spoils me rotten. No matter what I want, he gives it to me. He makes every holiday and special occasion the absolute best. He goes above and beyond what he should. He never disappoints. He never wants anything in return. He says it makes him happy to see me happy. If he gets money as a gift or just has money in his wallet, he gives it away either to me or even donates it. When I get money, I spend it. Nobody gets my money; it's MINE. He is the most giving, selfless person I know. He takes great care of me and our family. The beginning of this year was rough for our family, but thanks to Marcus, we pulled through. If I need help with the kids, he is there. I don't even always have to ask for his help. He isn't afraid of changing diapers, cleaning up throw up, or getting dirty. He doesn't mind being in the kitchen or folding laundry. He lets me get out of the house without the kids and have "me" time. I love "me" time and couldn't survive without it. He believes in me and encourages me with anything I want to do. (regardless of how ridiculous it is.)



I don't always let Marcus know how much I truly do love and appreciate everything he does for me and our children. I don't express my feelings verbally all that well. I need to get better at that. I need to let Marcus know what a great example he is to me and thank him for everything he has taught me. We have been married five years, but have been together for seven years. I am not going to say it has all been easy. We have had our struggles and challenges: becoming a blended family, running our own businesses, losing a baby, infertility, life's daily struggles. We have also had some great times and amazing experiences: growing together as a new family, adopting Christian, getting sealed to Christian in the same temple we were married, the birth of our baby girl, watching our family learn and grow together. I know we will have more struggles in the future, but I also know the good times and awesome experiences will outweigh the bad times.

The past five years have taught me a lot about myself, about Marcus, and about life in general. I try to be the best wife and mother I can be, even though I know that many times I fall short. I need to thank Marcus for loving me in spite of my downfalls, annoying habits, mistakes, and all the little things that make me me. I've enjoyed the last seven years of being with Marcus and I look forward to the eternity that we get to spend together.

No comments: