Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Mommy, You Are Being Kind of Mean"...

"Mommy, you are being kind of mean." The three year old says this on a regular basis. Usually I am "being mean" when I make her eat her dinner or come in the house when she wants to play outside. But, when she said this to me this morning, she was 100% correct. Mommy was being mean. I was being horrible; it only took the three year old to point this out to me.

Mornings at our house aren't the best. Especially mornings when I didn't get much sleep the night before because two children, who shall remain nameless, wouldn't stay out of my bed. I love my children, but I love my sleep almost as much...sometimes, maybe more. :) So needless to stay, I wasn't on my A game this morning. Trying to get the three of us ready and out the door this morning wasn't going very smoothly. The way I was handling it obviously wasn't making things any better. I was snapping at the both of them and growling over the dumbest things. When Emma pointed out how horrible I was being, it really made me think.

I have noticed lately that I am so short tempered and snappy with Christian and Emma. I don't want to be the mom that is the "mean mom" or the one who is always yelling at the kids. My fuse has been very short lately. Time goes by so fast, and the little ones aren't staying little. These days won't last forever. I need to enjoy the fingerprints on the glass and the dirty socks left in the middle of the floor and the constant picking up of toys. Even the whining and bickering between the kids won't last forever...hopefully anyway.

So the next time Emma wants to play Little People or Barbies or even Potato Heads, I will be there. If Christian wants to go on a bike ride, even if we are in gloves and hats because it's getting so stinking cold, we will go on an awesome bike ride.

I prayed and begged and pleaded to have children. My prayers were answered and I need to appreciate that more. Every moment is precious. My kids deserve a better mommy. I want to hear, "Mommy, you are fun." Thank you Emma for giving me a different outlook on being a Mommy.

Yes, I was put in my place by a three year old.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I have struggled with the same thing. My most stressful time is herding the kids out the door- I don't know why but if there's a time I snap, that's it. I have had to mentally go through the situation and and imagine myself being patient (several times a day) before I was able to improve it.
Good for you for recognizing something you want to change, and for listening to your 3 year old :) You're way ahead of the game already.