Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Have A Dream...

With yesterday being Martin Luther King Jr. Day, I wanted to do a special Family Home Evening Activity. I got the idea from The R House; I just had to tweak it a bit since Emma can't have ice cream. I got some different kind of candy from the store, (gotta love the bulk section at Winco, baby!) and separated it into different bowls.










While we ate the candy, we talked about even though all the candy was different, it was all still yummy and we liked it all the same. Some were gummy, others were hard. The lips were cinnamon and the licorice tasted like cherry.

Then we got out the toys.


We talked about playing with all the toys even though they were different. The kids love all their toys and don't care about their differences.

We talked about being friends to everyone and anyone regardless of what they look like. I love that we have a trans racial family. I love that my children don't even think about skin color or the differences among people.

While I was giving the lesson, I thought things were going well. Towards the end, Christian said, "I thought this was suppose to be fun." Candy + Toys = Fun...or so he thought. I laughed; it was rather funny.

I wanted to talk with Christian and Emma about Martin Luther King Jr and what a great man he was. I'm not ready to talk about slavery with Christian yet. He will learn soon enough what things used to be like. I will protect him from the hatred and stupidity people had (and unfortunately, some still have) for as long as I can.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

5 comments:

Tylaine said...

That's an awesome idea Monica. You have such a cute family!
I'm so glad you're coming on sat.!

Rachel said...

Monica what a great idea! So neat that you can take something that can be so hard and make it so easy! Well done!

Limb's Just Branching Out! said...

I love this lesson and plan to do it with my children. As I was pondering the candy and toys, I thought how boring would it be to have the same toys and candy all the time. Obviously the same goes for humanity. Diversity makes everything better! Thanks for the idea!

Crystal Escobar said...

That is awesome!!! I love that idea. Thank you for sharing that!
Can't wait to see you on Saturday, yay!!!

ailinh said...

sahweeet idea!